Hi! I’m Courtni.
1. I have a master’s degree in communication from UNC-Chapel Hill with a specialization in medical and science journalism, and will be finishing a second master’s degree in December 2023 (focusing on environmental science and public health).
2. I’m a full-time communicator leading communications and marketing efforts for the UNO College of Arts and Sciences, telling stories about everything from research advances and student achievements to social impact projects.
3. My first experience with video involved editing recordings of laparoscopic surgeries. I’m happy to say my multimedia work today involves more faces and less blood.
4. I believe in embracing your multipotentialite personality (if you identify as one) instead of running from it. Check out Emilie Wapnick’s TED talk on the subject if you want more context.
5. I’m a childhood cancer survivor of ALL leukemia and know that my experience in the hospital (with medical professionals and researchers) as well as my coping mechanisms during that time (reading and writing) came together to bring me to my current interest in science storytelling.
6. I believe in the value of volunteering and giving back to my community, either financially or by donating my time. Recent causes include the Green Omaha Coalition, Women’s Fund of Omaha, Make-A-Wish Foundation, the ACLU, Natural Resources Defense Council, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, just to name a few.
7. I’ve hiked two portions of the Camino de Santiago (120+ miles each time) and am gearing up for round three.
8. I aim to travel to all seven continents and as many countries as I can, and have a particular interest in ecotourism and sustainable travel.
9. I’m an avid reader of all genres and love to discuss books. Want to know what I’m reading? Connect with me on Goodreads.
10. The couple years I spent working at a movie theater in high school did not lessen my love of movie theater popcorn. It’s the snack that will always bring me joy.