Short bio (140 characters)
Courtni Kopietz is a full-time multimedia storyteller using words, videos, photos and social media to share the wonders of science.
Long bio (10 random facts)
Hi! I’m Courtni.
1. I have a master’s degree in communication from UNC-Chapel Hill with a specialization in medical and science journalism.
2. I’m a full-time multimedia specialist at the Morgridge Institute for Research, an incredible, awe-inspiring nonprofit focusing on biomedical research. I chat with scientists and help tell their stories through a variety of mediums.
3. My first experience with video involved editing videos of laparoscopic surgeries. I’m happy to say my work today involves more faces and less blood.
4. I believe in embracing your multipotentialite personality (if you identify as one) instead of running from it. Check out Emilie Wapnick’s TED talk on the subject if you want more context.
5. I’m a childhood cancer survivor of ALL leukemia and know that my experience in the hospital (with medical professionals and researchers) as well as my coping mechanisms during that time (reading and writing) came together to bring me to my current science communication profession.
6. I believe in the value of volunteering and giving back to my community, either financially or by donating my time. Recent causes include the Make-A-Wish Foundation, the ACLU, Natural Resources Defense Council, Harry Potter Alliance, Malala Fund, and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, just to name a few.
7. I hiked 120+ miles through Portugal and Spain as part of the Camino de Santiago in 2016 and am gearing up for round two.
8. I aim to travel to all seven continents and as many countries as I can.
9. I’m an avid reader of all genres and love to discuss books. Want to know what I’m reading? Connect with me on Goodreads.
10. The couple years I spent working at a movie theater in high school did not lessen my love of movie theater popcorn. It’s the snack that will always bring me joy.